Hi, My consultant advised me for prostectomy since my gleeson score is 7. My psa level is 4.8. He mentioned that it might be localised mostly. Is there any alternative treatment like Nanoknife (Irreversible Electroporation) in Dublin ? I have been UK london university hospital offered this? Any advise?
Thank you for your post on our online community. I hope you will hear from others and their experience of different treatments.
I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. It is an anxious time for you. We would recommend that you speak to your urologist about the pros and cons of having the Nanoknife treatment done in the UK. He will be familiar with it, and he will also have the details of your test results to date and any other relevant medical history and will be able to advise you accordingly. The Nanoknife treatment is not available in Ireland.
As commented by ‘JL’ your urologist may also arrange for you to see a radiotherapist for his opinion regarding treatment options. This is another opportunity to discuss with a consultant who specializes in prostate cancer, newer treatments that you may be considering elsewhere.
If you would find it helpful to speak to a nurse do phone us at 1800 200 700. Our cancer nurses are here Mon- Fri 9-5pm and would very much like to support you through this.
I was diagnosed in January with a Gleeson score of 4/3 early stage 2. Like you I did plenty of research into the various options and I came to what appeared to be the same conclusion that the Nanoknife seemed to be the best option. Having been brought up to always listen to both sides of any argument before making a decision I listened to the experts and the main thing that came out of it was if you have this procedure you cannot have robotic surgery to remove your prostate at a later date. This is based on evidence from those that have carried this out, due to the level of tissue damage that might occur during the treatment.
I was given 3 options if I wanted to have my treatment in Ireland.
The first was Robotic surgery (removal) which has at this stage because of the quantity being carried out similar outcomes to Nanoknife in terms of recovery side effects.
The second was Radiotherapy every day for four to six weeks which seems to offer a slightly quicker recovery time than surgery.
The third was Brachytherapy similar to Nanoknife in terms of not being able to have Robotic surgery afterwards but the initial recovery and side effects are much shorter.
At this point I was unsure so I researched all of the above and the one thing that came out of it was the medium to long terms outcome of them all are very similar in terms of delayed side effects. The risks are similar in different ways and this is what you have to weigh up, sit down and go through what you would like at the end of this.
I opted for Brachytherapy because the initial recovery time appeared to be the shortest. I had the surgery and returned to work after two weeks having been told I had to rest by my company (I spent most of it sleeping). Another 2 weeks later and the effects start to kick in. Tiredness and mind fog were probably the worse. Having been through this with my wife I had seen some of the effects radiation can have on your body she assured me it would get better and it has. I am not sure if this will help in any way I would be happy to answer any question you might have if you want to post them.
Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck in choosing a good surgeon no matter what option you go with.
I have had a similar diagnosis and like you explored all the options and was encouraged to go with robotic surgery by Radiation Oncologist and Urology Surgeon. They both felt it gave me best long term options should I have a reoccurance I had the surgery on Dec 9th and recovering well.
I would consider my self fit and am a bit surprised how tired I am and how much rest I need. Once I accepted this it is ok
My main challenge now is trying to regain urinary continence which I am finding mentally and physically challenging. Have been advised that it can take time and that I need to be patient. Fingers crossed it will happen sooner than later.
Best of luck with everything.
Hey, I received my diagnosis mid November. I have a Gleason score of 7. Like above I was given the 3 options available. It was a lot for us to take in and digest. The urologist suggested that for my score of 7 that perhaps the Brachytherapy would be my better option. He said that he would need to discuss my case with the oncologist I Galway to see what his advice would be. Two weeks later we returned to see the urologist in Sligo, he informed us the his colleague in Galway would be happy to offer me that treatment. Mid December we met with the radiation oncologist in Galway. He talked us through the three options agin, their side effects and possible risks. By the end of the consultation we agreed on the brachytherapy, he then did an ultrasound of the prostate to map it. ( I have to say being put in stirrups was most undignified)
So now the waiting game for treatment, he said possibly February or March. Any advice on what to expect post procedure would be most appreciated.
I am feeling very anxious about everything.
Hope your surgery went well on December 30th and that you are comfortable
If you have any questions that you think I can help you with let me know.
Next step is getting Cathera out. For me this was straight forward, minor discomfort.
You will need pads. I bought them through Amazon / incontince store in UK. They are much better value. Delivery takes a couple of days
Not sure where you surgery. I booked appointment with specialist physio in Mater Private for incontinence and ED. Had first sesion on Thursday and would highly recommend doing. Book ASAP as she is very busy.
Hi Tough time but we will get through it. I received same diagnosis this week and Urologist also strongly recommended Prostectomy
I have asked Urologist to refer me to medical oncologist and radiation oncologist so that I can review both options. Not sure if I will be any the wiser as both are probably an option. But I think it is worth doing