Oireachtas Cross Party Group on Cancer
The Oireachtas Cross-Party Group on Cancer was established in 2021 and includes TDs and Senators from across the political spectrum. The Group is chaired by Senator Catherine Ardagh with secretarial support from the Irish Cancer Society.
The Cross Party Group on Cancer is expected to meet four times per year and will discuss key issues, hear directly from cancer patients, learn from new research and campaign together to improve cancer services through the implementation of the National Cancer Strategy. The Group will provide a powerful voice in the Oireachtas for those affected by cancer, and in addressing the public policy challenges faced by cancer patients, healthcare workers, in cancer research and the delivery of cancer services.
The members of the Cross-Party Group are as follows:
- Senator Catherine Ardagh (Chair)
- Deputy Ivana Bacik
- Deputy Colm Burke
- Deputy Gino Kenny
- Deputy Neasa Hourigan
- Deputy Róisín Shortall
- Deputy John Lahart
- Minister Dara Calleary
- Deputy Johnny Guirke
- Deputy David Cullinane
- Deputy Alan Kelly
- Deputy Thomas Pringle
- Senator Annie Hoey
- Senator Erin McGreehan
Matters discussed by the group to date have included:
- The impact of COVID on cancer services (March 2021), speakers on the issue included, Professor Solange Peters, Professor Seamus O’Reilly and an Irish Cancer Society Advocacy Champion.
- Access to Financial Services and the ‘Right to be Forgotten’ (July 2021), speakers on issue included, Professor Mark Lawler, Professor Niall O’Higgins and Dr Agnes Dumas.
- Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer (November 2021), speakers on the issue included, Professor Owen Smith, Professor Daniel Stark and a parent representative.
- Update on the ‘Right to be Forgotten’ and the Access to Financial Services (April 2022)
- Hosted information briefing as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (October 2022)
- Comprehensive Cancer Centres (December 2022), speakers on the issue included Averil Power, Professor John Kennedy and Professor Maeve Lowery.
- Early Detection of Child, Adolescent and Young Adult (CAYA) Cancers (November 2023), speakers on the issue included Prof. Owen Smith, Ashley Ball-Gamble, Amy Nolan and a patient representative.
As part of the recommendations on The Right to be Forgotten Beyond cancer: Access to financial products and services the Oireachtas Cross-Party Group on Cancer will look to introduce a cross-Party Private Members’ Bill, seeking to enshrine the Right to be Forgotten into law, should Government not act to do so.
This page will be regularly updated with news of the Group’s Activities.
For more information