X-HALE Short Film Competition
Every year, we support youth groups from all over Ireland to have their say about smoking and make a short film encouraging young people to stamp out smokes for good. Read more about the X-HALE story so far.
- We invite youth groups to apply for a grant. Groups can also take part without a grant and receive free resources, training and support.
- We provide free X-HALE Training for your leaders and digital film school for representatives from your youth group.
- Groups then get stuck into exploring important smoking issues like peer pressure, the health effects of smoking and the power of the tobacco industry with the help of our resources. The information provided is relevant for all young people, both non-smokers and smokers are encouraged to take part.
- We leave it up to you from there to decide how your group’s film will encourage young people not to smoke, you know your audience.
- Completed short films are submitted to the Irish Cancer Society and are uploaded to the Irish Cancer Society YouTube channel so that you can promote and share your groups work far and wide on social media and in your local area to expand the reach of your messages among your friends and community. Your online and community campaign is your chance to make sure your film creates change and raises awareness.
- All films are showcased at the X-HALE Youth Awards each year. This is a fantastic event to celebrate the achievements of all involved with cool prizes up for grabs under various categories including an Online Winner for the film with the most YouTube views and a Community Campaign Winner. See the films of previous winners.
- The programme gives you and your group members a platform to discover, discuss and share the facts and your opinions about smoking. Check out all about smoking to get a taste of the topics you will have the chance to explore.
- It’s a unique chance for you to develop film-making skills (script writing, acting, directing, filming, editing), creativity, confidence and team working ability in planning and shooting your film with your group.
- You get to take the lead on spreading the word about the harmful effects of smoking to other young people. We want to bring down the number of young people smoking in Ireland and we need you to be part of the tobacco endgame.
Get on Board!
The X-HALE 2019 Short Film Competition Grant Call in now open! We’re calling on you to support #TheXGeneration, Ireland’s first smoke free generation!
The X-HALE 2019 Short Film Competition Grant Call is now open, learn more and apply now!