Drive patients to hospital
What’s involved in volunteering for the Volunteer Driver Service?
If you would like to volunteer as a driver in our Volunteer Driver Service programme, we would ask that you could provide at least two round trips a month and that you commit to the programme for a minimum of 12 months. Drivers must be available during the week as this service does not cover weekend appointments.
Here are the steps involved:
- We receive a hospital appointment from a patient.
- We call our volunteer drivers to see who is available from the patient's general geographic area.
- Once you’ve agreed to do a drive, we ask you to contact the patient the day before the appointment to introduce yourself and confirm directions and pick-up time.
- At the agreed time, you pick up the patient from the door of their house and drive them to the door of the hospital.
- Before the treatment is finished, you’ll get a call on your mobile from the patient (we ask the patient to give you 30 minutes notice before their treatment ends). You'll then collect the patient from the door of the hospital.
- Finally, you will then return the patient to the door of their house.
We hold support and supervision meetings every quarter to help drivers feel part of a team. Please note that all recruitment, interviews and training sessions are held locally.
To volunteer for the Volunteer Driver Service service, you must:
- Hold an active email address.
- Hold a full clean driver’s licence.
- Hold a valid NCT document (for cars older than three years).
- Have a roadworthy vehicle.
- Proof of insurance.
- Complete the volunteer training programme.
- Give permission to undertake a Garda clearance check.
- Provide two non-familial references.
Current volunteer opportunities
We are not currently recruiting volunteers. Please check back regularly for updates to this page or Like us on Facebook for updates on how you can volunteer with us.
Apply to be a volunteer driver
Become a volunteer driver in just a few simple steps:
- Complete our online Volunteer Driver application form. You can also download the form and return it to the the Volunteer Driver Service Programme Administrator at email@example.com.
- You’ll be invited to an interview with us, during which we’ll ask you to fill out a Garda vetting form.
- Having passed the interview stage, you’ll be invited to attend a training day in your area.
- Once you've satisfactorily completed the training day, we will then send your Garda vetting forms to be processed.
- While your forms are being processed (which can take up to six months), you’ll be asked to submit further information (copies of your NCT, your driver’s licence, your insurance, and a passport photo for your ID card).
- Once your references have been checked, your Garda vetting has been processed satisfactorily and we have received all relevant documentation, we will ask you to attend an orientation day at the partner hospital.
- After the orientation day, you will be called to take a patient on their first drive.
For more information on volunteering for the Volunteer Driver Service, call Rebecca on 01 2316 642.
For more information about the Volunteer Driver Service programme, check out the following web pages: