Driving patients to hospital treatments
What’s involved in being a Volunteer Driver?
- Do you have an email address?
- Can you commit to driving at least twice a month?
- Do you have weekday availability?
- Have you got a roadworthy, clean car? Valid car insurance, relevant NCT and driving licence?
- Can you commit to being part of the programme for a minimum of 12 months?
Then we would like to hear from you!
Current volunteering opportunities
We are currently recruiting for volunteers in the South Tipperary (Cashel, Clonmel & Tipperary town), Longford, east Galway and Belmullet.
Please note that before a volunteer is able to drive our referred patients they will need to be vetted. All volunteers must participate in an interview and training session (boundaries, confidentiality, data protection, etc), agree to provide two non-familial references and to undergo garda vetting checking.
So, how does the process work? What's involved in a typical day with the service?
- Initially, the office team will receive a hospital appointment date from a referred patient (this happens a minimum of three days before the drive). So if a patient needs a driver on a Wednesday, the appointment has to be phoned in before 4.45pm on the previous Friday.
- At 5pm that previous Friday evening we will email out a list of drives available nationally to all drivers.
- Over the weekend, drivers will see if they are available to commit to a drive and email us back, identifying which drive is suitable to them.
- On the Monday morning, the office will then start mixing and matching drivers. One driver is never partnered to one particular patient.
- We will eamil the driver the relevant patient details. The driver will need to contact the patient as soon as they receive their details to introduce themselves and re-confirm details of the drive.
- On the Wednesday (at the agreed time) the driver will pick the patient up from the door of their home and drive them to the door of the hospital.
- About 30 minutes before their treatment is finished, the patient will call the driver to collect them at the door of the hospital and return them home.
- The drive for the day is then complete!
To support drivers, the team hold Support & Supervision meetings twice a year.
All volunteer recruitment, interviews, training and Support & Supervision sessions are held locally.
For more information on volunteering for the Volunteer Driver Service, call Laura on 01 2310594.
For more information about the Volunteer Driver Service programme, check out the following web pages: