Smoking in Ireland
Based on Irish Cancer Society research on smoking and attitudes to lung cancer...
- 2 out of 5 people in Ireland said they have never smoked - this rises to over half of 18-24 year-olds.
- 64 out of 100 smokers smoke every day.
- 92 out of 100 smokers know that smoking causes lung cancer.
- 41 out of 100 smokers know that lung cancer is the biggest cancer killer.
- 31 out of 100 smokers are unconcerned about being diagnosed with lung cancer.
- Over 7 in 10 smokers have never spoken with a doctor or pharmacist about their lung health.
- 1 in 10 smokers don't think there is much a doctor can do for their lung health.
- There are certain things that smokers said would stop them from going to their doctor about their lung health:
- 1 in 3 smokers said they would be worried about what they would be told.
- 1 in 5 smokers don't want a lecture on giving up smoking.
- 1 in 5 smokers said a visit to their doctor is too expensive.
- 21 out of 100 people don't think their symptoms are serious enough to go to the doctor.
Infographic: Smoking in Ireland
For information and support on how to quit smoking, call the HSE Quit Team on Freefone 1800 201 203 or www.quit.ie.