Tax efficient giving
Did you know that by simply completing a CHY3 tax relief form you can help the Irish Cancer Society reclaim thousands of euro from the Revenue Commissioners at no extra cost to you?
An enduring certificate (CHY3) is valid for a period of 5 years, unless you cancel it before the end of that period. This means we dont have to mail supporters each year. You should complete this form only in respect of donations for 2013 and subsequent years.
Enabling us to reclaim tax from your donation means you can help even more people who are dealing with cancer right now and those who may be diagnosed in the future.
How to claim tax relief
If you pay tax and you give more than €250 in a calendar year, we can reclaim the tax paid on your donation(s). This only applies to personal gifts, and not to funds raised through sponsorship.
You can make your donation as a once-off gift or by instalments. For example, a monthly gift of €21 per month over 12 months totals €252, and qualifies for the tax relief scheme. You could even give a few gifts over the course of the year totaling a minimum of €250 to qualify.
From January 2013, self-assessed tax payers can no longer claim tax back on charitable donations, only charities can make this claim from Revenue. The table below summarises the main changes:
How much further your contribution can go
All donations which total €250 or more in one year allow us to reclaim 44.9% back or €112.25 on top of the €250 donation. This extra revenue could cover the cost of 11 calls to the National Cancer Helpline (Free phone 1800 200 700), offering advice, support and information to anyone concerned about cancer.
How your donations have helped
- We placed anti-smoking posters in over 1,000 primary schools
- In 2013, Irish Cancer Society Night Nurses provided 7,700 nights of care to cancer patients throughout Ireland
- We successfully lobbied the government for a bowel-screening programme for people aged 60-69
- Sunbed usage for under-18 year olds has been banned because of our national campaign
- As a result of our campaigning, the waiting time for a colonoscopy has been reduced by 86%
- We received over 20,000 calls to our National Cancer Helpline (Freefone 1800 200 700)
- We provided over €900,000 of financial assistance to people suffering financial hardship because of a cancer diagnosis.
Get a tax relief form
Download the CHY3 form or call us on CallSave 1850 60 60 60 and we'll put one in the post.
We will also post the form to anyone who we know to be eligible in January of the following year.
For donations made in 2012 or prior, download the CHY2 form.
For further information on charity tax relief please see www.revenue.ie. The scheme is completely confidential.