On this page:
Travel2Care is a limited transportation assistance fund which has been made available by the National Cancer Control Programme (NCCP) to patients travelling to a designated cancer centre, approved centres or approved children’s hospital and is administered by the Irish Cancer Society.
The purpose of this nationwide transportation assistance fund is to support people who have a genuine financial difficulty in meeting some of the costs of travelling to current appointments.
Eligibility for Travel2Care
You can apply for Travel2Care if you:
- Live permanently in Ireland.
- Have a genuine financial need.
- Have to travel over 50km to a designated cancer centre, approved centres or approved children’s hospital.
- Are travelling for assessment, diagnosis, surgery or active treatment at a designated cancer centre, approved satellite centre or approved children’s hospital.
- Do not qualify for other schemes, such as transport funded by the HSE or voluntary transport initiatives such as the Volunteer Driver Service. Please note that we cannot provide financial assistance towards retrospective appointments.
Hospitals covered by Travel2Care
- Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
- Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin
- St James’s Hospital, Dublin
- St Vincent’s University Hospital, Dublin
- Cork University Hospital
- University Hospital Waterford
- Galway University Hospital
- University Hospital Limerick
- Letterkenny General Hospital (approved satellite centre), Donegal
- Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin, Dublin
- St Luke’s Hospital, Rathgar, Dublin
- Whitfield Clinic, Waterford (if you are a public patient travelling over 50kms for radiotherapy treatment)
- Altnagelvin Area Hospital, Derry
How to apply for Travel2Care
There are two types of application forms for Travel2Care:
Travel2Care Form A is for cancer tests
How to get Travel2Care Form A:
- Download the form below;
- Call 01 231 6643 / 01 231 0522 to receive a copy;
- Email email@example.com;
- Or write to Travel2Care, Irish Cancer Society, 43/45 Northumberland Road, Dublin 4
Once completed, post your application to Travel2Care, Irish Cancer Society, 43-45 Northumberland Rd, Dublin 4.
Travel2Care Form B is for ongoing treatment (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy or palliative care) and is available only from a healthcare professional such as a medical social worker or your cancer nurse.
A healthcare professional is not obliged to make an application and must be satisfied that there is a genuine financial need.
Please speak to a medical social worker, cancer nurse or other healthcare professional, such as your G.P., regards financial support towards your travel expenses.
For more information
(01) 231 0522