Our Daffodil Centres provide cancer information, support and advice in local hospitals. The centres are an extension of our Cancer Information Service.
We aim to provide a wide range of information locally through our Daffodil Centres, to anyone affected by or concerned about cancer.
Our information services for people with cancer and their relatives and friends are delivered primarily through our Daffodil Centres, in twelve locations nationwide.
The Centres are staffed by specialist nurses and trained volunteers, who provide both practical information and emotional support.
Our Daffodil Centre in Tallaght Hospital, Dublin
In 2013, the Centres dealt with queries from over 35,000 people, and we expect to deal with over 50,000 in 2014.
Almost half of the people who visited the Daffodil Centres in 2013 were experiencing or recovering from cancer, and one-third had a family member with cancer.
The vast majority reported that they were able to find the information they were looking for easily, that it was of a high quality, and that it was easy to understand. 93% of those who spoke with a nurse reported feeling very much better after the consultation and 81% reported that they had confidence in the information and advice they received
Who can use the Daffodil Centres
Daffodil Centres are open to all, no referral or appointment is necessary: cancer patients (in-patients and out-patients), family members and the general public can come in and get information, including;
- Cancer prevention and early detection diagnosis
- Cancer treatments and related side-effects
- Palliative care services
- Support and psychological care
- Practical entitlements and services available
Daffodil Centre locations
Daffodil Centres are open in:
- Bon Secours Hospital, Cork
- Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork
- Letterkenny General Hospital, Letterkenny, Co. Dongegal
- Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
- Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin
- St Vincents University Hospital, Merrion Rd, Dublin 4
- St. James’s Hospital, Dublin 8
- Tallaght Hospital, Dublin 24
- University Hospital Galway
- The Hermitage Medical Clinic, Lucan
- University Hospital Waterford
Daffodil Centre staff
A Cancer Information Service Nurse with experience in cancer care is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Daffodil Centre.
The nurse provides clear and accessible information on any cancer-related issue, and is supported by trained volunteers.