Top tips to make your event a success
Whether you’re a first time fundraiser or a seasoned professional we are delighted to have you on board!
We have outlined some of our top tips below to help you ensure your fundraiser is a success!
- Set a fundraising goal. Having a target to reach is a great motivator to you and anyone helping you to help reach your goal!
- Budget! Know your budget and set targets for your income. Find as many ways as possible for the event to make money. Seek sponsorship in kind for things like your venue, facilities and prizes if your event is happening somewhere like a business, pub or restaurant.
- The details. Pick an appealing theme or activity that people will be glad to get involved in, then find the ideal spot to suit.
- Date. Pick a date and time that will suit as many people as possible – and do your best to avoid clashes.
- Guests. Consider who your event is aimed at, who to invite and whether you want to put an upper or lower limit on numbers attending.
- Planning. Give yourself plenty of time to get everything done. Keep safety in mind and carry out a risk assessment if needs be.
- Get the word out! Use every channel available to tell people about your event. Be sure to reach the right people. Tell everyone you know about your fundraiser; by phone, by email, across your social media profiles. Advertise your event with the poster included in your sponsorship pack in your local shop or pub.
Remember to tell everyone the valuable work that the Irish Cancer Society does. The more people know the more they will give!
- Follow up: Remind your friends who have committed to donate and keep them updated on your training progress. Make sure you thank everyone for their donation and send polite reminders to those people after the event who pledged sponsorship.
- Don't be afraid to ask. A lot of people aren't comfortable asking their friends, family and colleagues for money. But with over 40,000 new cancer diagnoses in Ireland each year, most people will have a personal connection to cancer. Don't hesitate to tell them your connection and ask for a donation - any amount will do. And remember, the worst thing they can do is say no.
- Matched gifts: Find out if your company or workplace has a matching gift scheme, they may be able to double your fundraising total!
Tips on promoting your fundraiser and getting the word out
In order for you to make your event a success, you need to get the word out and raise awareness about it.
- Fundraise online - Create an online fundraising page to collect donations from your friends and family. It's safe, secure and anyone can pledge your fundraiser no matter where they live in the world!
- Create a Facebook Event - Use your Facebook Page to create a Facebook Event dedicated to your fundraiser. Make sure it's updated with all the details--date, time, location, and include a link to buy tickets or donate to you if you have such a link.
You can also create a fundraiser directly in Facebook to collect donations!
- Tweet it - If you use Twitter, tag us (@IrishCancerSoc) in any posts about your fundraiser so we can re-tweet your event!
- Instagram it - If you use Instagram, post a picture and tag us (@IrishCancerSoc) so we can re-post your story to raise awareness.
Email - A quick email is a great way to tell your friends what you’re up to. You can even send an ‘e-invite’ or ‘meeting request’ to keep them in the loop.
Letters - How would you feel if a good friend or family member sent you a letter telling you they are organising a fundraiser in aid of a good cause and asking you to help them out with a donation or by coming along on the day? Would you say no? Of course not, and that’s why it works.
Advertise - A clear, colourful poster with the details of your event and the fact you’re raising money for a good cause will go a long way towards creating a buzz and building a crowd for your event. Talk to our fundraising team about using our logo on your poster.
Talk to your local media about getting coverage. We can help: ask our fundraising team about our Local Media Relations and Publicity Campaign Guide.
For more information
1850 60 60 60