Mary, a cancer nurse with volunteers in front of one of our Daffodil Centres
Our Daffodil Centres provide cancer information, support and advice in local hospitals.
We aim to provide a wide range of information locally through our Daffodil Centres, to anyone affected by or concerned about cancer.
Our information services for people with cancer and their relatives and friends are delivered primarily through our Daffodil Centres, in 13 locations nationwide.
The Centres are staffed by specialist nurses and trained volunteers, who provide both practical information and emotional support.
Our Daffodil Centre in St. Vincent's Hospital, Dublin
In 2017, Daffodil Centres dealt with queries from over 40,000 people across Ireland.
Almost half of the people who visited the Daffodil Centres in 2016 were experiencing or recovering from cancer, and one-third had a family member with cancer.
The vast majority reported that they were able to find the information they were looking for easily, that it was of a high quality, and that it was easy to understand. 93% of those who spoke with a nurse reported feeling very much better after the consultation and 81% reported that they had confidence in the information and advice they received
Who can use the Daffodil Centres
Daffodil Centres are open to all, no referral or appointment is necessary: cancer patients (in-patients and out-patients), family members and the general public can come in and get information, including;
- Cancer prevention and early detection diagnosis.
- Cancer treatments and related side-effects.
- Palliative care services.
- Support and psychological care.
- Practical entitlements and services available.
Daffodil Centre locations
- Bon Secours Hospital Cork, College Road, Cork
- Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork
- Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9
- Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin 7
- St. James’s Hospital, Dublin 8
- St Luke's Hospital, Rathgar, Dublin 6
- St Vincents University Hospital, Dublin 4
- Tallaght Hospital, Dublin 24
- The Hermitage Medical Clinic, Lucan, Co. Dublin (Under refurbishment)
- University Hospital Galway, University Road, Galway
- Letterkenny University Hospital, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
- University Hospital Limerick, Dooradoyle, Limerick
- University Hospital Waterford, Dunmore Road, Waterford
Daffodil Centre staff
A trained nurse with experience in cancer care is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Daffodil Centre.
The nurse provides clear and accessible information on any cancer-related issue, and is supported by trained volunteers.