Chemotherapy video resources
We have developed a series of video resources to help you understand how chemotherapy is given and how to manage some of the common side effects
These videos have been produced by the Irish Cancer Society and the Oncology Department, University Hospital Limerick.
Each video deals with a different stages of having chemotherapy in depth. You can watch all the videos together or return later to watch the other videos in the series at another time that suits you.
- Enables you to take part in your journey and plan questions which you may have for your doctor or nurse.
- Outlines how chemotherapy is given and how it works.
- Describes how treatment is given.
- Answers practical information about attending hospital for chemotherapy.
- Outlines why you develop side effects.
- When and who to contact if you develop side-effects of chemotherapy
- How to manage some of the more common side effects.
Common side effects include:
- Risk of infection
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sore mouth
- Taste changes
- Bowel side effects
- Hair loss
- Skin and nail changes
- Sex life and fertility
- Coping with cancer. Services available to you while on treatment.
- Life after cancer. Services available to you following treatment.
You can watch all the videos together in one sitting on our playlist on YouTube.
If you are a patient you are likely to have questions and concerns about your own treatment which these videos don’t answer, It is best to discuss this with your doctor or nurse.
Call the National Cancer Helpline Freephone 1800 200 700 to talk to a specialist cancer nurse. It's open Monday-Thursday from 9am to 6pm and Friday from 9am to 5pm