Daffodil Day fundraising ideas and tips
By hosting an event you are changing the lives of people affected by cancer. The funds you raise will help ensure that no one has to face cancer alone.
Below you will find some event ideas and fundraising tips to help you organise your event. If you would prefer to download these resources, visit the downloads page.
Event ideas for everyone
Check out some of our fundraising ideas below!
Coffee morning or tea party. Hold a coffee morning or tea party and invite your friends and colleagues around. Bake up a storm with lots of yellow treats to enjoy. It’s a great way to catch up with people!
Hold a raffle at your event. Ask your local shops to donate small hampers or a gift voucher to raffle off at your event. 1 ticket for €2 or 3 tickets for €5.
- Go yellow in your community or workplace! Host a yellow themed party or event – get everyone involved and ask them to make a donation.
- Turn your school yellow! Hold a festival in college or school. Yellow games, yellow bake sales, best yellow fancy dress – the more yellow the better! Have food stalls or a BBQ at the festival and if anyone is good on a guitar or an instrument, have live music!
- Sports day. Hold a sports event on behalf of Daffodil Day, get your friends, colleagues and family together for a round of golf or football match – everyone is always up for a game!
- Table quiz. Hold a quiz night in school, college or your local pub. Make the rounds interesting and varied; a music round, a picture round and even a taste round – Everyone loves a good table quiz!
- Swap shop. Host a swap shop and ask everyone to bring unwanted gifts or purchases, one person’s junk is another person’s perfect buy!
Top tips to make your event a success
Whether you’re a first time fundraiser or a seasoned professional we are delighted to have you on board!
We have outlined some of our top tips below to help you ensure your Daffodil Day event is a success:
- Fundraising. Know your budget and set targets for your income. Find as many ways as possible for the event to make money. Seek sponsorship in kind for things like your venue, facilities and prizes.
- The details. Pick an appealing theme or activity that people will be glad to get involved in, then find the ideal spot to suit.
- Date. Pick a date and time that will suit as many people as possible – and do your best to avoid clashes.
- Guests. Consider who your event is aimed at, who to invite and whether you want to put an upper or lower limit on numbers attending.
- Planning. Give yourself plenty of time to get everything done. Keep safety in mind and carry out a risk assessment if needs be.
- Get the word out! Use every channel available to tell people about your event. Be sure to reach the right people.
Visit the downloads page for printable versions of these fundraising ideas and tips.
How your event helps
Every single euro raised will make a difference to people with cancer and their families throughout Ireland. A vital part of our work involves helping those at the end of their cancer journey to spend their last nights in their own home, surrounded by those who love them. Our Night Nurses provide excellent care in the patient's home, giving them comfort, familiarity and dignity in the last nights of their life.
See the impact of the money you raise below:
- €20 covers the cost of providing support and information to a visitor at one of our Daffodil Centres.
- €50 can help provide vital clinical equipment for a Night Nurse, providing end of life care to a patient in their home.
- €60 covers the cost of a counselling session to help a person cope with a cancer diagnosis in their life.
- €120 will cover the cost of equipment for Volunteer Drivers if a patient is sick during their lift to treatment in hospital.
- €350 will cover the cost of one night of Night Nursing, allowing a patient to spend their precious remaining time surrounded by their loved ones.
The Irish Cancer Society receives only 3% of its funding from the State. Services like the ones above depend entirely on the generosity of supporters like you!
Our team is here to help so if you need any further help or advice on hosting your event call us on CallSave 1850 60 60 60 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help!
For more information
1850 60 60 60