Reduce your risk of bowel cancer
There are steps you can take to reduce your risk of bowel cancer:
- Have a healthy diet. Limit the amount of red and processed meat that you eat.
- Avoid being overweight or obese and maintain a healthy body weight.
- Increase the amount of fibre you eat, including at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each day
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Don’t smoke.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Be aware of your family history. If a member of your family has or had bowel cancer speak to your doctor about the risk and the need for screening.
Read next: How to get screened for bowel cancer.