Reduce your risk of bowel cancer
There are steps you can take to reduce your risk of bowel cancer:
- Have a healthy diet. Limit the amount of red and processed meat that you eat.
- Avoid being overweight or obese and maintain a healthy body weight.
- Increase the amount of fibre you eat, including at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each day
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Don’t smoke.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
- Be aware of your family history. If a member of your family has or had bowel cancer speak to your doctor about the risk and the need for screening. For more information, see our Cancer and genes factsheet.
Read next: How to get screened for bowel cancer.