X-HALE Training for youth workers
The Irish Cancer Society offer a free one-day interactive training day on smoking prevention and education for youth workers and volunteers in out of school settings.
What's involved in X-HALE Training?
- This innovative free training day is designed to accompany X-HALE Training, our smoking education and prevention resource.
- The training is funded by the Irish Cancer Society, and each participant will receive a free copy of our X-HALE Training Resource.
- The X- HALE Training Resource was developed in partnership with young people and youth workers to provide a framework to facilitate and explore a broad range of smoking prevention topics with young people during group sessions.
- Topics covered include young people’s attitudes to smoking, peer pressure, the health effects of smoking, the costs of smoking, the power of the tobacco industry, the local and global impact of tobacco, taking action to create smoke free communities and supporting young people to quit. The information provided is relevant for all young people; both non-smokers and smokers are encouraged to participate, share and reflect.
Who is it for?
Youth workers or volunteers from groups taking part in the X-HALE Short Film Competition are strongly recommended to attend to facilitate their participation.
- Youth workers or volunteers working with young people aged 10-24 in out of school settings from non-participating groups are also invited to attend.
- X-HALE Training will be of interest to youth organisations that want to empower young people to learn about the impact of smoking, actively participate in improving their health and developing their range of personal skills.
- It is strongly recommended for youth organisations working towards the National Youth Council of Ireland’s Health Quality Mark Award for best practice in health promotion.
- If you are a school teacher interested in X-HALE Training, please refer to X-HALE Training for school teachers for more information and opportunities.
Why take part?
- Both the training and resource provide youth workers and volunteers with the knowledge, skills and materials needed to tackle smoking issues in your setting and facilitate a range of smoking topics in an engaging, interactive and participatory way with young people.
- Through implementing your learning and resource activities young people in your group will have the chance to discuss and share the facts about smoking and reflect on their own opinions and choices.
- We want to bring down the number of young people smoking in Ireland smoking and we want youth workers and volunteers to join us in supporting our young people to become the first tobacco free generation.
Take action now
Registration is now closed for X-HALE 2018 Training for youth workers & volunteers... Register your interest to be kept up to date with future opportunties!