About Relay For Life
Relay For Life is a 24 hour event that brings the whole community together to Celebrate the lives of cancer survivors, to Remember those whom we have lost to the disease and to Fight Back by increasing our knowledge of cancer and by raising money to fund vital research and services of the Irish Cancer Society.
At Relay, teams of family members and friends commit to having at least one member of their team walking around the track at all times. While they are doing that, a festival of fun, entertainment and community takes place which unites everybody in the fight against cancer.
Relay For Life across the world
The Relay For Life organisation was established in the 1980s by the American Cancer Society. In recent years the concept has gone global and Relay For Life events are now held in more than 20 countries around the world.
Relay For Life events involve a 24-hour walking relay for which funds are raised in support of the fight against cancer. The events, which take place worldwide, give communities a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember lost loved ones, and fight back against the disease.
How Relay for Life helps
Cancer can leave a lot of pain and heartache in its wake. But it can also inspire people to come together and do some wonderful things. Relay For Life events are organised entirely by communities so that those lost to cancer will never be forgotten, that those who face cancer will be supported, and in the hope that one day cancer will be eliminated. With your help, we hope to bring Relay For Life to every town and city in Ireland. Find out how you can get involved.
Get involved in Relay For Life
There are many ways to participate in a Relay For Life event:
- If you’re passionate about fighting back against cancer and can gather together a committed group of people to join you in that fight, you can start your own Relay For Life event. Get the resources you need to start your own event.
- Enter a team in a Relay For Life event
- Or join the committee, or volunteer to help on the day of the event in one of the Relays in Ireland
- Join in the fun and visit a Relay event with your friends and family
- If you are a cancer survivor, register with your local Relay in Ireland and walk the survivors’ lap that kicks off every event.
- CallSave 1850 60 60 60 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more
How to get involved