Fundraising tips for your marathon
Before your challenge, you'll need to raise funds through events or parties.
Once you register, we'll send you out a fundraising pack with everything you need to make your fundraising a success! In the meantime, check out our top fundraising tips below, along with ideas for some great fundraisers!
Our Top Tips
- Set a Goal: Just as you will be setting goals to complete your challenge, its vital to set a fundraising target at the beginning.
- Shout it from the rooftop: Tell everyone you know about your fundraiser; by phone, by email or on your Facebook page. Advertise your event with the enclosed poster in your local shop or pub. Remember to tell everyone the valuable work that the Irish Cancer Society does. The more people know the more they will give!
- Fundraise online: As well as using your sponsorship cards, why not set up an online fundraising page? Its so easy for people to donate. Make sure you share it at work, by email and on your Facebook page.
- Speaking of Facebook, the popular social network is now a viable fundrasing platform. It's quick and easy to set up and is a greatway of sharing a cause that's close to your heart with your nearest, dearest (along with all the other people you've added to your social network along the way). You can learn more here.
- Follow up: Remind your friends who have committed to donate and keep them updated on your training progress. Make sure you thank everyone for their donation and send polite reminders to those people after the event who pledged sponsorship.
- Matched gift: Find out if your company has a matching gift scheme, they may be able to double your fundraising total!
Tell your story
Getting the local press to publicise your event can be a great way of adding to your fundraising total.
Check out our handy guides to getting press to cover your event:
A-Z of Fundraising Ideas
- A - Auction, Auction of Promises
- B - Breakfast event, Baked beans bath, Bazaar, B-B-Q, Bed push, Bingo, Book sale, Bring-and-buy sale
- C - Cake sale, Car boot sale, Carol singing, Casual day at work/school, Childrens sports day, Coffee morning, Curry Party, Car Treasure Hunt
- D - Donations in lieu of presents, Dinner dance, Disco, Darts tournament, Dog walking
- E - Easter egg hunt, Egg-and-spoon race, Exhibitions
- F - Fashion show, Fancy dress, Film show, Firm wide raffles, auctions and collections, Football tournament
- G - Give up something for Lent and get it sponsored! Gigs, Go-karting, Garden Party
- H - Halloween fancy dress party, Hill Walk, Head and beard shaving, Hurling solo run
- I - Inter-departmental quiz in your workplace, Indoor football competition
- J - Jumble sale, James Bond event, Jelly eating
- K - Karaoke, Keep-fitathon, Knit-athon, Knockout pillow fighting
- L - Leg waxing for men, Line dancing, Lottery
- M - Midnight feasts, Musical chairs, Music quiz Marathon and mini-marathon
- N - No smoking day, Non-uniform day, Novelty fashion show
- O - Obstacle course, Odd clothes day, Outdoor bazaar, Open Gardens, Garden parties around your neighbourhood
- P - Parties, Penalty shoot-out competition, Photo competition, Pyjama party, Pedal-athon. Pancake breakfast/party, Pizza party
- Q - Quiz night
- R - Raffle, Rock 'n' Roll night, Role reversal day, Race night
- S - Slim-athon, Sponsored dog walking, Sponsored silence, Sponsored ANYTHING!, Swear box
- T - Talent competition, Table quiz, Tea party, Tug of war
- U - Underwear as outerwear dares, (non) Uniform day, Unwanted gift sale
- V - Valet services, Volleyball marathon, Variety show Valentines Day event
- W - Water games, Wellie throwing competition, Wheelbarrow racing
- X - Xmas Pantomime,
- Y - Yard clean, Yogathon, Yo-yo competition
- Z - Zany clothes day Zzzzz - a sponsored sleep in or even stay-awake!
Get in touch
If you have any questions about how to raise money for your trek, call us on 1850 60 60 60 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.