EU Smoke Free Youth Exchange
The Irish Cancer Society X-HALE Programme is delighted to announce that we are part of an Erasmus+ EU funded project in partnership with Smart Youth Sweden and Team Oasis Children's Charity in the UK. Based on the application process throughout summer 2019, we have selected 8 young people and 2 adult youth leaders from Carrick on Suir Foroige NYP, The Youth Booth @ The Maple Youth Centre, Donegal Youth Service, Kells Youthreach, Mountrath Youth Theatre, Clonmel CTC and Quay Foroige Ballina that are past participants of the X-HALE programme to travel exchanges in Sweden and the UK in October 2019 and February 2020! In total, there will be 33 young people and youth leaders from Sweden, England and Ireland taking part.
Details of the Exchange Trips:
• The trip to Sweden will take place from October 27th to November 2nd 2019.
• The trip to UK will take place February 19th to 26th 2020 (will require permission to be absent from school/centre for 3 days outside midterm break)
• Throughout the exchanges, participants will learn about smoking and prevention in each country, develop skills in sharing messages about tobacco through film, take part in workshops and activities, attend movie night discussions, hear about each countries traditions, attend a Halloween fancy dress party and explore host cities. On return participants will be ideally placed to continue being smoke free advocates in their communities and at national level supported by the Irish Cancer Society and partner organisations.
The exchange is funded by the Erasmus+ programme however there is a participation fee of €50 per person attending. This includes travel, food, accommodation and activities during both exchanges. .
• Are current or past participant of the Irish Cancer Society X-HALE Youth Smoking Prevention Programme (young person or youth worker)
• Are Between the ages of 13-17 years old at the time of the exchanges for young people (born on before Feb 27th 2002 and October 25th 2006) or be over 18 years+ for youth workers/adult volunteers
• Have committed to taking part in both exchanges in autumn and winter
• Have permission from parents and school/centre to participate (for young people) or from employer (for youth workers/adult volunteers)
• Have a valid passport
• Comply with the requirements for all participants outlined in the application form (No smoking, vaping, use of other tobacco products or illegal drugs at any time throughout the exchanges, everyone is acting as a smoke free advocate. No drinking alcohol at any time, we are committed to creating a safe and health promoting environment for all. In line with health and safety, everyone must comply with day time activity instructions and sleeping arrangements as outlined by leaders, to ensure that leaders can account for the whereabouts of all participants at all times)
For updates on the exchanges, visit our Facebook page