Protection for Tenants during coronavirus


Last reviewed: Jan 14

The following is an overview of Tenant Protections during COVID-19. Further information is available at Citizens Information.

On 2 August 2020, the Government introduced new rental laws that protect tenants economically affected by COVID-19 and who are at risk of losing their tenancy. These provisions apply until 12 April 2021.

Under these new laws, landlords can serve tenants with a notice of termination for the normal reasons. If a tenant is in rent arrears due to being economically affected by COVID-19, new rules apply. Information on this is available from the Residential Tenancies Board website.

Additonally, an eviction ban has been introduced for any period when people’s movement is restricted to 5km from their home as part of COVID-19 restrictions. This means that tenants cannot be evicted when the country is at Level 5 COVID-19 restrictions. There are some exceptions to this eviction ban. Learn more here.

If you are threatened with eviction, you should call Threshold for advice on 1800 454 454.



What should I do if I have fallen into rent arrears due to being economically affected by COVID-19?

The Residential Tenancies Board (RTB) gives a detailed overview of the rules and requirements for both landlords and tenants who are in this situation. Please visit the RTB website to learn more.

I am struggling to pay my rent. What are my options?

While tenants are expected to pay rent during the COVID-19 pandemic, if you are struggling to pay your rent, you should engage with your landlord as soon as possible to discuss temporary arrangements. You should not stop paying rent completely, and if you cannot pay the full amount of rent due, you should talk to your landlord or agent.

You can also call Threshold for advice on 1800 454 454.

Rent Supplement is a short-term, means-tested payment for people living in private rented accommodation who have had a significant change in circumstances (e.g. illness or job loss) and can no longer afford to pay their rent.

Learn more and apply for Rent Supplement here.

If you have cannot work due to self-isolation or diagnosis of COVID-19, you can apply for Enhanced Illness Benefit for COVID-19. If you have lost your job due to COVID-19, you can apply for the Pandemic Unemployment  Payment

How much is the Rent Supplement?

The amount of Rent Supplement is you receive depends on various factors, including your income, savings, how many people in your household and how much rent you pay.

Anyone receiving rent supplement is also expected contribute towards the cost of their rent. A single person is required to pay at least €30 per week, with a couple paying a minimum of €40 per week.

What is the Housing Assistance Programme (HAP)?

HAP is a form of social housing support provided by local authorities. If you qualify for HAP, your local authority will make a monthly payment to your landlord on your behalf. In return, the tenant pays a weekly contribution towards their rent to the local authority. The rent contribution is based on your household income.

To be eligible for HAP, you must first apply for and be approved for social housing support by your local authority. You can find more information and contact details for your local authority at

Contact the Cancer Nurseline

The Irish Cancer Society continues to be available to provide support and information on this matter or any other queries related to cancer through its Freephone Nurseline on 1800 200 700, or through any of its 13 hospital-based Daffodil Centres around the country. 

For more information

Icon: Phone


1800 200 700

Icon: Email