Filling in forms

Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP)

Detailed information on the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment and other unemployment benefits is available on the Irish Government's Website


Last Reviewed: 13 Jan

What are my options if I have been temporarily laid off due to COVID-19?

COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment is a social welfare payment for employees and self-employed people who have lost all of their employment due to the COVID-19 public health emergency.

You can apply online at This is the quickest and easiest way to apply.


Email to request the application form and apply by post.

The rate you receive will depend on the amount you used to get paid:

From 16 October 2020 to 31 March 2021, COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP) weekly rate:

Average weekly earningsPersonal rate
€400 or over€350
€300 - €399.99€300
€200 - €299.99€250
Less than €200€203

I am self-employed and have had to close my business due to COVID-19. Can I apply for assistance?

If you are self-employed, your average weekly income in 2018 or 2019 will be used to decide your rate of payment.

You can earn up to €960 over 8 weeks and still keep your PUP payment. More information is available at Citizens Information.

My working hours have been reduced. Can I apply for assistance?

If your regular working hours have been reduced to 3 days per week or less due to COVID-19, you can apply for a Short Time Work Support payment.

You can apply online at


You can apply using a UP1 – Job Seeker’s Allowance/Benefit Application Form


  • a UP1 4STWS – Short Time Work Support Employer Declaration.

I have dependants. Should I apply for the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment?

If you have a spouse or partner and/or one or more children you should claim a Jobseeker’s Payment instead of the COVID-19 Pandemic Payment.

This is because you can claim an additional allowance for your adult and child dependants, which will bring your weekly payment to in excess of the weekly payment due under the emergency COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

How will I cope if my mortgage payments and other expenses are not covered by the Unemployment Payment?

Banks and financial institutions have agreed to adopt a flexible approach with regard to mortgage and other loan payments during the COVID-19 crisis, including offering payment breaks to customers. In the first instance, you should contact your bank and explain your position to them.

Advisors from the Money Advice and Budgeting Service Board may also be able to assist.

Workers, in receipt of the enhanced Illness Benefit payment who still face financial distress because their employer fails to pay sick pay beyond the level paid by the State, can apply for additional emergency income support in the form of Supplementary Welfare Allowance. This is based on a means test and an examination of expenditure by the person making the application.

Representatives of the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection are based in Intreo centres or social welfare offices and are responsible for processing the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme.

People who require immediate support can phone 1890 800 024 between 9.00am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday.

UP1 Jobseekers Allowance Form
UP1 Jobseekers Allowance Form
UP1 Jobseekers Allowance Form
UP14 STWS Short Time Work Support Form
UP14 STWS Short Time Work Support Form
UP14 STWS Short Time Work Support Form
Contact the Irish Cancer Society Support Line

If you or someone in your life is undergoing cancer treatment and are concerned about the coronavirus, you can speak confidentially to an Irish Cancer Society Cancer Nurse through the Support Line on Freephone 1800 200 700 or through our online form.