Working with Government to influence policy and legislation for the better
Our Advocacy team is working to improve the lives of people with cancer and reduce the risk of people getting cancer, by informing and influencing Government policy and legislation, including:
- Lobbying for a reduction in the Drugs Payment Scheme threshold (currently set at €134 - down from €144 last year).
- Campaigning to abolish the prescription charge (currently set at €2 per item – down from €2.50 last year).
- Calling for the abolition of the unfair inpatient charges (€80 per visit to a maximum of €800 a year).
- Working to increase excise on tobacco, a proven measure of reducing the number of smokers and preventable cancers.
- Seeking Government supports for smokers to quit.
- Supporting patient understanding of the new National Cancer Strategy and calling for action on its full implementation so that patients and survivors get the supports they need.
Read more about the Irish Cancer Society's Advocacy efforts to improve the cancer experience for patients.