Relay for Life Donegal report
The first ever Relay for Life Donegal took place in Letterkenny on May 26-27, 2012 in glorious sunshine. Justin McDermott, Irish Cancer Society Community Fundraiser, sent the following report of a hugely successful event.
Relay For Life Donegal took place in LYIT in Letterkenny over the weekend, the first Relay in Donegal and the north west.
It was an such amazing event over 24 hours, from 6pm Saturday to 6pm on Sunday, when even the sun came out to Celebrate, Remember and Fight Back against Cancer.
Here are some of the fantastic statistics from Relay Donegal:
- 450 survivors, people who at some point in their lives been told 'you have cancer' donned their purple t shirt and walked the first lap at Relay in Saturday evening at 6pm
- 71 teams of families, friends, neighbours, colleagues, health professionals and team mates who had been fundraising for many months took part in Relay and walked the track over the 24 hours
- over 5,000 candle of hope bags, bought in memory of those who have battled cancer and those lost to the disease, were lit in solemn remembrance at the Candle of Hope ceremony on Saturday night at 10pm
- Information on our services, health promotion and cancer awareness messaging was promoted throughout the 24 hours and the thousands upon thousands of people who participated or visited Relay from all over the north west and further afield are now more aware of the Irish Cancer Society and our work.
- Most amazingly, to date Relay For Life Donegal has raised over €280,000 for the Irish Cancer Society
The guest of honor at Relay Donegal was Daniel O'Donnell, who stayed for nearly all the 24 hours, he was fantastic throughout and is a great supporter of Relay and the Irish Cancer Society. He has written and produced a song for Relay called 'We'll see this journey through' and has donated one year of royalties from it to the Irish Cancer Society.
If you would like to see a selection of my favourite photos from Relay Donegal, and see some video clips of Daniel leading Relayers on a dancing lap in LYIT yesterday, please click on the following links:
f you would like to send a message to the Relay Donegal organising committee, please feel free to email email@example.com
Celebrating, remembering and fighting back at Relay For Life,
Warm regards, Justin